|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Decatur (1855-185?) - A two story blockhouse garrisoned by Marines from the USS Decatur during the siege of Seattle in 1856 during the Yakima Indian War. Located in present day Seattle, King County, Washington. Also known as Seattle Blockhouse.
History of Fort Decatur
Built for protection from hostile Indians on the north end of the Seattle settlement during the Yakima Indian War (1855-1856). This was a two story log blockhouse, 25 by 40 feet and 14 feet high, armed with two 9 pounder cannons from the U.S.S. Decatur. During the siege of Seattle on 26 Jan 1856, it was garrisoned by Marines from the U.S.S. Decatur who were attacked by a large number of hostile Indians. The siege was unsuccessful but the threat of a larger force of hostile Indians caused the settlers to build a second blockhouse on the south side and connect these two blockhouse with a series of breastworks and stockades. This second blockhouse was known as Fort Duwamish. No further attacks occurred.
Location: Located in Discovery Park former location of Fort Lawton Military Reservation, Seattle, King County, Washington.
Maps & Images Lat: 47.6570 Long: -122.4182
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 184
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 831
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!