Fort Defiance (14)
Fort Defiance (14) (1861-1865) - A Confederate U.S. Civil War Fort established in 1861 near New Providence, Montgomery County, Tennessee. Named Fort Sevier when first built, captured by Union forces in February 1862 and renamed Fort Bruce after Colonel Sander D. Bruce and finally named Fort Defiance. Abandoned at the end of the war in 1865.
History of Fort Sevier
A Confederate U.S. Civil War Fort established in 1861 under the direction of West Point graduate Major Jeremy F. Gilmer, (Cullum 989). One of three forts intended to provide for the defense of Clarksville, Tennessee. The other two forts being the adjacent Fort Clark and Fort Terry to the northeast on the Red River.
Major Gilmer hired Edward Sayers, a civilian engineer, to oversee construction and work progressed well into January 1862 and the guns were being mounted at that time.
Union Colonel Sanders D. Bruce's brigade command occupied the fort in December 1862 and remained there until the end of the war. Colonel Bruce expanded the fort and it was renamed for him.
The fort became a magnet for black freedmen and many were recruited into the U.S. Colored Troops (USCT). The 16th USCT and one company of the 9th US Colored Heavy Artillery were raised at Clarksville.
The fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
The earthworks remains of the fort are preserved at the Fort Defiance Interpretive Center and the adjacent city park.
Visited: 13 May 2016