Fort Defiance (3)
Fort Defiance (3) (1861-1865) - First established in 1861 as Camp Prentiss, a Union supply depot at Cairo, Illinois. Named after Union General Benjamin Prentiss. Renamed Fort Defiance. Abandoned in 1865.
Fort Defiance (3) History
Fort Defiance was strategically located at the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi rivers. Union General Ulysses S. Grant assembled his army here in late 1861.
Now Fort Defiance State Park, currently closed for cleanup from flooding (June 2010).
Visited: 30 Jun 2010
Fort Defiance (3) Picture Gallery