Fort DuPont (2)
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort DuPont (2) (1861-1865) - First established in 1861 as a part of the Defense of Washington DC during the U.S. Civil War. Named after Flag Officer Samuel F. du Pont, who commanded the naval victory at Port Royal, South Carolina, in November 1861. Abandoned after the war in 1865.
Fort DuPont (2) History
The fort had six sides, each 100 feet long, and was surrounded by a deep moat. Fort DuPont (2) guarded the Eleventh Street bridge over the Anacostia River near the Washington Navy Yard.
Part of Dupont Circle Park. In the 1930s, National Capital Planning Commission acquired the old fort and surrounding land for the park. The only traces of the fort today are the earthworks that can be seen near the southeast corner of the park, circled by a one way loop drive. A bronze plaque is located on a boulder just off Alabama Avenue.
Location: Southeast corner of DuPont Circle Park, Washington DC.
Maps & Images Lat: 38.872793 Long: -76.940206
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 135
Fort DuPont (2) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!