|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Esperanza (1862-1865) - A Confederate earthworks post established in 1862 by Captain Dan Shea and Major Caleb G. Forshey on the eastern shore of Matagorda Island in Calhoun County, Texas, during the U.S. Civil War. The post was captured in November 1863 by Union forces and reoccupied by Confederates in Jun 1864. Abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war. Also known as Fort Debray for Colonel Xavier Blanchard Debray.
Fort Esperanza History
A Confederate earthworks post started in 1862 by Captain Dan Shea and added onto by Major Caleb G. Forshey on the eastern shore of Matagorda Island in Calhoun County, Texas. The fort was armed with eight 24-pounder and one 128-pounder gun. The post was built to stop federal boats from sailing further up the channel but in October 1862 Union vessels sailed past the fort. The post was again attacked and captured by Union forces 29 Nov 1863. Union forces held the post until they evacuated it on 15 Jun 1864. The post was reoccupied by Confederate forces in June 1864. The post was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
Part of Matagorda Island National Wildlife Refuge, Calhoun County, Texas. The topography of the area changes with each major hurricane that strikes, the site of Fort Esperanza is currently submerged off shore.
Location: On the eastern shore of Matagorda Island, Calhoun County, Texas. Map point is not accurate. Maps & Images Lat: 28.3875 Long: -96.401
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 762
- McAllister, Wayne H. and Martha K., Matagorda Island: a naturalist's guide, University of Texas Press, 1993 , 354 pages, ISBN 0292751516, ISBN 9780292751514
Fort Esperanza Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!