Fort Ethan Allen
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Ethan Allen (1892-1943) - A U.S. Army cavalry and field artillery training post, first established in 1892 on land once owned by the man it is named for. Located in Chittenden County, Vermont. Named in G.O. 21, 1893, after Colonel Ethan Allen, Revolutionary War patriot, hero, and politician. Deactivated by the Army in 1944 and reactivated by the U.S. Air Force as Ethan Allen Air Force Base in 1952. Finally closed in 1960.
Fort Ethan Allen History
First established on 5 Aug 1892 and first occupied on 28 Sep 1894. One of the largest cavalry and field artillery training posts in the United States. Deactivated by the U.S. Army in 1944 and used for military storage.
Acquired by the United States Air Force in 1952 and renamed Ethan Allen Air Force Base. Closed down in 1960 and declared surplus in 1962.
Now the University of Vermont’s Fort Ethan Allen Campus a portion of the Fort Ethan Allen Historic District with about 35 historic buildings used mainly for student housing.
Location: Chittenden County, Vermont.
Maps & Images Lat: 44.5055556 Long: -73.1502778
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 799
Visited: 18 Jul 2012
Fort Ethan Allen Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!