Fort Fillmore (1851-1862) - First established 23 Sep 1851 by Lt. Colonel Dixon S. Miles (Cullum 387), and troops from the 3rd U.S. Infantry at Fort Bliss. Named after U.S. President Millard Fillmore. Abandoned 10 Oct 1862.
Initially established to control hostile Apache Indians, it became a stop on the Butterfield Overland Mail Route (1857-1861) and the El Paso-Fort Yuma Stage Line. The post was inspected by Colonel Joseph K.F. Mansfield 17-18 Oct 1854 who found the post garrisoned by four companies with a total of 8 commissioned officers and 269 rank and file available for duty. He was very complimentary about the post and command, declaring the quarters "the best in the Territory."
Garrisoned by Union forces commanded by Major Issac Lynde (Cullum 501) as the U.S. Civil War began. Confederates troops under Ltc. John R. Baylor captured the fort 26 Jul 1861 after the Union forces were forced to abandon it. The Confederates were forced out on 8 Jul 1862 as Union California Volunteers approached. Occupied by 1st California Volunteer Cavalry under Ltc. Edward E. Eyre on 8 Jul 1862 but abandoned on 10 Oct 1862.
No visible remains.
Note: This point is identified as being "at the site of former Fort Fillmore"