Fort Floyd (2)
Fort Floyd (2) (1837-1838) - A U.S. Army Trail of Tears Cherokee removal post established in 1837 by Georgia Militia troops in Lumpkin County, Georgia. Abandoned in 1838. Also known as Fort Lumpkin and Fort Dahlonega.
A stockaded U.S. Army post established in 1837 during the "Trail of Tears" Cherokee removal period by Georgia Militia troops. This post also served as a depot for munitions and supplies for other posts in the area.
The remnants of the Cherokee Nation were rounded up in 1838 by Federal forces and Georgia Militia and pressed into military stockades for eventual removal to reservations in the western Indian Territory. U.S. General Winfield Scott oversaw the operation but lacked control over the militia units. Some 7,000 U.S. Soldiers and Georgia Militia forced some 15,000 Cherokee Indians into stockades and held them for removal. The condition were terrible in the stockades and on the trail to the Indian Territory and many of the Cherokees died before reaching the new reservations. As many as 4,000 Cherokees may have died in the stockades and on the 800 mile journey west. The removal process and the conditions of removal came to be known as the "Trail of Tears".
This post was abandoned sometime after May 1838.
No remains, site located near College Circle on the grounds of North Georgia College and State University in Dahlonega, Lumpkin County, Georgia.