Fort Frankfort (1752-1761) - A Colonial military fort established in 1752 during the French & Indian War in present day Dresden, Lincoln County, Maine. Abandoned in 1761. Also known as Fort Shirley (2) named after John Shirley, Governor of Massachusetts. Assigned Location ID ME00021.
Built as a 200 foot square stockade with two blockhouse in opposing angles. The blockhouses were two story 24 foot square structures. The buildings inside the stockade included barracks and a 40 foot long storehouse.
The 1761 Pownalborough Courthouse was built on the parade of the fort as it was being torn down.
Archeological remains only, at the former Pownalborough Courthouse in Dresden, Lincoln County, Maine. The courthouse was built on the parade of the fort.
Visited: 27 May 2018