Fort Franklin (1)
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Franklin (1) (1860-1863) - First established in 1860 by Mormons settlers in Franklin County, Idaho. Abandoned in 1863 after the battle of Bear River.
Fort Franklin (1) History
Built by Mormons as a stockade to protect settlers from hostile Shoshone Indians. Hostilities ended after the battle of Bear River (29 Jan 1863) which resulted in the Bear River Massacre of encamped Shoshone Indians.
Marker only at the north end of town at the corner of North State Street and Parkinson Road.
Location: Franklin, Franklin County, Idaho. Map point is marker location.
Maps & Images Lat: 42.017178 Long: -111.804235
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 251
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 51
Visited: 13 Sep 2011
Fort Franklin (1) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!