Fort Frederick (8)

From FortWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Fort Frederick (8) (1773-1775) - A Revolutionary War era Fort established in 1773 near Winooski, Chittenden County, Vermont. Named Fort Frederick after the then Prince of Whales Frederick Lewis father of King George III. Abandoned as a fortification in 1775.

Winooski Falls from the Bridge, Fort Frederick would have been on the left side of the picture.


Built in 1773 by Ira Allen and Remember Baker as a two-storied blockhouse at Winooski River's falls to protect their lands from New York settlers.

The blockhouse served both as a fort and as a general store and office for the land-speculating Onion River Company. Ethan Allen, leader of the Green Mountain Boys, and two other brothers had formed the Onion River Land Company to sell land to homesteaders. The Fort was never used as a defense but provided a sense of security to prospective settlers.

The settlement was abandoned during the Revolutionary War.

Abandoned as a fortification circ 1775.

Current Status

Fort Frederick Marker.

The site of the fort is at the bridge on Main Street in Winooski. The marker is set into the northeast corner of the bridge.

Location: Winooski, Chittenden County, Vermont.

Maps & Images

Lat: 44.489667 Long: -73.186383

  • Multi Maps from ACME
  • Maps from Bing
  • Maps from Google
  • Elevation: .....'

GPS Locations:

See Also:



Fortification ID:

  • VT0022 - Fort Frederick (8)

Visited: 18 Jul 2012

Personal tools