Fort Gansevoort (1808-1849) - A U.S. Army Fort established in 1808 as a Second System fort prior to the War of 1812 in present day New York City, New York County, New York. Named for General Peter Gansevoort, Revolutionary War General. Abandoned in 1849-1854. Also known as White Fort.
A masonry Second System fort established in 1808 and completed in 1812. Built with Newark red sandstone and gun ports for 22 cannon. The exterior was whitewashed resulting the White Fort name. Internally the fort contained an arsenal, magazine, barracks and a hot shot furnace.
Included as a Third System fort.
Demolished in 1849 or 1854.
No remains in New York City, New York County, New York.