Fort George (18)
Fort George (18) (1776-1783) - A Patriot Revolutionary War fortification established as Laurel Hill Battery in 1776 in New York City, New York County, New York. First named Laurel Hill Battery after the location. Captured by the British in November 1776 and renamed Fort Clinton and later Fort George. Returned to Patriot control when the British evacuated New York in November 1783. Abandoned as a fortification in 1783 at the end of the war.
History of Fort George
A Patriot Revolutionary War fortification established as Laurel Hill Battery in 1776 in New York City. The battery contained two redoubts, one halfway up the crest, and another on the crest. The battery was overrun by British Black Watch and Hessians troops and captured during the November 1776 attack on nearby Fort Washington. During the British occupation of New York they expanded the works in 1778 to include a blockhouse and connected them to Fort Tryon in the winter of 1779.
Works returned to Patriot control when the British evacuated New York City on 25 Nov 1783. Abandoned as a fortification later in 1783 at the end of the war.
Site identified as at West 192nd Street and Audubon Ave, New York City. DAR Marker with an inscription: