Fort Gilbert (1864-1867) - Established in 1864 as a trading post at the edge of the Fort Buford reservation in present day Richland County, Montana, on the west bank of the Yellowstone River. Reportedly named after Colonel Charles C. Gilbert (Cullum 1292), a commanding officer at Fort Buford (1870-1872) but Fort Gilbert predated Fort Buford and Colonel Gilbert's command.
Fort Gilbert History
Built as a trading post for the lower Yellowstone valley.
Marker only, no remains of the post.
Location: About 5 miles north of Sidney in Richland County, Montana, off hwy 200 on the west bank of the Yellowstone River
Maps & Images
Lat: 47.79917 Long: -104.07417
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 71
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 471
Fort Gilbert Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!