Fort Gilmer (2)
Fort Gilmer (2) (1864-1865) - A U.S. Civil War earthworks fort established in 1864 by Confederate forces in Henrico County, Virginia. Named for Major General Jeremy F. Gilmer (Cullum 989), Confederate Chief Engineer. Abandoned in 1865.
Fort Gilmer (2) History
The fort was abandoned at 3 am on 3 Apr 1865.
Part of Richmond National Battlefield Park, Henrico County, Virginia
Location: Richmond National Battlefield, Henrico County, Virginia.
Maps & Images
Lat: 37.4469482 Long: -77.3798203
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 809
Visited: 29 Mar 2012
Fort Gilmer (2) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!