Fort Girardeau (1861-1865) - First established in 1861 during the U.S Civil War at the order of General U.S. Grant. Named after the town of Cape Girardeau. Abandoned at the end of the war in 1865.
Fort Girardeau was a series of four named forts and two named batteries built at Cape Girardeau at the beginning of the U.S. Civil War to protect a critical point on the Missouri River.
- Fort A - Probably built as just an artillery position with a magazine and tent quarters for the troops. A wind-driven grist mill tower was used as a spotting platform.
- Fort B - Covered the approaches to the town from the Perryville Road and the Jacksonville Road. Located on the grounds of present-day Southeast Missouri State Teachers College.
- Fort C - Covered the approaches to the city from the Commerce Road, Bloomfield Road, and the Gordonville Road on the southwest side of town. This was a clay earthworks position.
- Fort D - The most elaborate position with triangular earthworks protected by artillery positions at each corner. The fort was located at the northeast corner of present-day Fort Street and Locust Street.
Location: Cape Girardeau, Cape Girardeau County, Missouri.
Maps & Images
Lat: 37.290917 Long: -89.526225
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 457.