Fort Good Hope (3)
Fort Good Hope (3) (1805-1918) - First Established as a North West Company fur trading post and fort in 1805. Became a Hudson's Bay Company post in 1822. Abandoned after 1918. Also known as Fort Charles. Site of Fort Good Hope RMCP Post.
A North West Company (NWC) fur trading post and fort first established in 1804 or 1805 along the Mackenzie River between the mouth of the Peel River and the mouth of Arctic Red River. Reputedly the most northern post of the North West Company. Relocated several times south along the Mackenzie River.
The NWC and the Hudson's Bay Company (HBC) merged in 1821 under the Hudson's Bay Company name. The post became a HBC post in 1822 and was moved about 100 miles south in 1823 to Manitou Island in the Mackenzie River. In 1826 the post was moved further south to the present vicinity of the city of Fort Good Hope. It was relocated twice in 1836.
In 1859 the Hudson's Bay Company invited the Roman Catholic Oblate fathers to establish a mission at Fort Good Hope. The mission was established by Father Henri Grollier who had been stationed at Fort Chipewyan since 1852.
Reportedly abandoned in 1918 although a 1928 photo shows the post HBC buildings in relatively good repair (see photo above).
The RCMP established a post here sometime before 1928 (shown in 1928 photo).