Fort Granger (2)
Fort Granger (2) (1864-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Fort established in 1864 near Stevenson, Jackson County, Alabama. Named Fort Granger after Union General Gordon Granger. Abandoned in 1865 after the end of the war.
Fort Granger was the smallest of three named forts and some seven blockhouses built to protect a strategic rail junction at Stevenson, Alabama. Fort Granger was built as a square redoubt about 75 feet on a side late in the war in 1864.
The two larger forts were Fort Harker and Fort Mitchell. At least seven blockhouses were also constructed along the railroad lines at Stevenson. Fort Granger remained serviceable but partially incomplete at the war's end.
The reported location of Fort Granger is near the railroad track and its intersection with present-day Cotton Street.
The only visible remains appear to be a raised earth area. No Marker located.
Visited: 3 Aug 2021