Fort Greely (2)
Fort Greely (2) (1942-Present) - A U.S. Army post first established in 1942 during World War II by 1st Lt. William L. Brame, 138th U.S. Infantry, near present day Delta Junction, Southeast Fairbanks Census Area, Alaska. Initially an Army Airfield named Station 17 renamed Fort Greely 6 Aug 1955 in honor of Major General Adolphus Washington Greely, arctic explorer, founder of the Alaska Communications System and Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient in 1935. Active military installation.
World War II (1941-1945)
Established on 30 Jun 1942 during World War II by 1st Lt. William L. Brame, and a 15 man detail of 138th U.S. Infantry troops. Initially established as a U.S. Army Airfield known as Station 17 to refuel lend-lease aircraft headed for Russia. The airfield was deactivated in 1945.
Cold War (1947-1996)
The Army started a major construction program in 1954 that included a post headquarters, engineer facilities, support and recreation facilities, 96 sets of quarters, and three 200-man barracks. On 6 August 1955 the post was renamed Fort Greely. In the 1960s and 1970s additional facilities were added
In 1995 under the Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) post activity was reduced but in 2001 it was reactivated to support a missile defense mission. The post was reduced to 7,200 acres and became a part of the Nation’s Ballistic Mission Defense System (BMDS) as a mid-course missile defense.
Active military installation near Delta Junction, Southeast Fairbanks Census Area, Alaska.