Fort Gregg (2)
Fort Gregg (2) (1864-1865) - A U.S. Civil War post established in 1864 by Confederate forces in Petersburg City, Virginia. Named for Confederate Brigadier General John Gregg of the Texas Brigade. Abandoned at the end of the war in 1865.
Fort Gregg (2) History
A confederate earthworks in Petersburg that stood in the way of the Union advance on 2 Apr 1865. The fort was defended by some 250 Confederate troops who were attacked by about 5000 federal troops. The fighting came down to hand-to-hand combat and only 44 of the defenders survived the battle. The defense of Fort Gregg is credited with preventing the capture of Petersburg by General Grant that day.
Part of Petersburg National Battlefield , Petersburg City, Virginia. Two markers and the remains of the earthworks in a large open field.
Visited: 2 Apr 2012