Fort Grigsby (1862-1863) - A Confederate earthworks established in 1862 by Major Julius Kellersbergin, CSA, in Port Neches, Jefferson County, Texas, during the U.S. Civil War. Abandoned in 1863 after Fort Manhassett was established.
Fort Grigsby History
Established in October 1862 after Union forces captured Fort Sabine. The fort was built of mud and clamshells reinforced by upright, pointed logs. The post was armed with two 24-pounder guns that covered a strategic bend in the river. Abandoned about July 1863 after Fort Manhassett was established.
Site reported to be in Port Neches City Park, Port Neches, Jefferson County, Texas