Fort Hall (2)
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Hall (2) (1870-1883) - A U.S. Army fort first established in 1870 by Captain James E. Putnam on a site selected by Lieutenant Clinton B. Sears in Bingham County, Idaho. Abandoned in 1883 and turned over to the Department of Interior for use as an Indian School.
Fort Hall (2) History
Established 19 May 1870 by Captain James E. Putnam, 12th U.S. Infantry, on a site selected and surveyed by Lieutenant Clinton B. Sears. A U.S. Army post designed to protect stage and freight routes and the Bannock Indian Reservation.
Abandoned 27 Feb 1883 and turned over to the Department of Interior for use as an Indian School. The buildings were eventually moved to Ross Fork Creek and all that remained at the site was the tree lined parade.
Location: About 9 miles east of Blackfoot, Bingham County, Idaho.
Maps & Images Lat: 43.1471385 Long: -112.184694
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 251
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 51
Fort Hall (2) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!