Fort Hampton (2)
Fort Hampton (2) (1809-1817) - A U.S Army fort established by Colonel Reuben J. Meigs in 1809, west of Athens in Limestone County, Alabama. Named Fort Hampton after Brigadier General Wade Hampton. Abandoned in 1817.
Established by Colonel Reuben J. Meigs in 1809 to protect Chickasaw Indian lands from settler encroachment. Two companies of soldiers were garrisoned here until the Indian lands were ceded to the U.S. Government in 1816.
Abandoned in 1817.
Limestone County Historical Marker along U.S. Hwy 72, Limestone County, Alabama.
Visited: 2 Aug 2021