Fort Hatch (1864-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Fort established in 1864 in Jacksonville, Duval County, Florida. Named Fort Hatch after Union General John P. Hatch, (Cullum 1247) who was later awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions at Antietam where he was severely wounded leading one of his battalions while under severe fire from the enemy. Abandoned by the Union in July 1864 when they left Jacksonville, abandoned as a fortification at the end of the war in 1865.
Jacksonville, Florida changed hands four times during the U.S. Civil War, finally ending up under Union control in March 1864 after the Battle of Olustee. The Union Army then encircled Jacksonville with fortifications, including a number of forts, extensive earthworks, and nine gun batteries all built to prevent another Confederate capture of the city. The fortifications included barracks, mess halls, medical facilities, and even parade grounds.
With no enemy to fight, the Union forces in Jacksonville were soon requisitioned by Union commanders up north. The city was evacuated by the Union forces by 26 July 1864.
A roadside marker is located at Adams Street and Davis Street. Previously the location of the fort could not be confirmed but archeologists have determined the location using maps and archaeological testing. The roadside marker is at the location of Fort Hatch.
Visited: 17 Aug 2021