Fort Hatteras (1861-1865) - A U.S. Civil War Confederate Fort established in 1861 near Hatteras Inlet, Dare County, North Carolina. Captured and occupied by Union forces on 29 Aug 1861. Abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Fort Hatteras
Constructed by Confederate forces in the early summer of 1861 along with Fort Clark about 3/4 of a mile east. Fort Hatteras was a 250' square sand fort, 6' high and 25' thick, sheathed with 2" thick wood planks. The fort was armed with twelve 32-pounder smoothbore guns. A 10-inch rifled gun arrived from Richmond in late August and was mounted, but no ammunition was provided.
Fort Hatteras and Fort Clark were attacked, captured and occupied by Union forces from a joint Army-Navy task force from Fort Monroe. The task force was under the command of General Benjamin F. Butler and Flag-Officer Silas Stringham. Fort Hatteras and Fort Clark surrendered about noon on 29 Aug 1861.
The Union fleet departed that same afternoon, leaving behind part of the land forces to garrison the forts and three ships to guard the Inlet. Some 670 Confederate prisoners were taken away by the departing fleet. Union forces held the forts until the end of the war.
Over time, the ocean has eroded the point of land and washed away the sites of Fort Hatteras. A roadside marker for both Fort Hatteras and Fort Clark is located at the entrance to the Ferry terminal. Several granite monuments to the forts and the military actions in the area are located at the nearby Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum.
Visited: 5 Apr 2018