Fort Hawkins (1806-1828) - A U.S. Army post and Indian Factory established in 1806 by Colonel Benjamin Hawkins in Bibb County, Georgia. Named for Colonel Benjamin Hawkins, who served as the U.S. Agent for Indian Affairs south of the Ohio River (1796-1816). Decommissioned in 1828.
History of Fort Hawkins
Fort Hawkins was built out as a stockaded post with two blockhouses on opposite corners, a southeast, and a northwest blockhouse. The site occupied about one and a half acres and was enclosed by a hewn log stockade. The fort was designed as a trading center and Indian factory and was used as a negotiation center.
Part of Fort Hawkins City Park in Macon, Bibb County, Georgia. Includes a 1930s reproduction of the southeastern blockhouse on the exact site. The site is fenced off and not open to the public.
Visited: 1 Feb 2018