|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Henderson (1837-1837) - Established as a Texas Ranger fort by members of Major William H. Smith's battalion in early 1837. Probably named after General James Pinckney Henderson. Abandoned in the fall of 1837.
Fort Henderson History
Fort Henderson was located in Indian country some distance from the nearest white settlement. The isolation and difficulty in provisioning the fort lead to it's abandonment soon after it was built.
No visible ruins.
Location: The exact location is unknown but it is at some point on the upper Navasota River where it forms the boundary between Robertson and Leon County, Texas.
Maps & Images Lat: 31.3108 Long: -96.3237
- Pierce, Gerald S., Texas Under Arms:The Camps, Posts, Forts & Military Towns of the Republic of Texas 1836-1846, Encino Press, Austin TX, 1969, ISBN/ASIN: B0006CYB9I, page 65-66
- Texas Handbook OnLine
Fort Henderson Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!