|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Henrietta (1855-1856) - Built by Major Mark A. Chinn and a detachment of the First Oregon Mounted Rifles in Umatilla County in November 1855 during the Yakima War. It was named for Henrietta Haller, Major Granville Haller's wife, who was Major Chinn's commander. Abandoned in 1856.
History of Fort Henrietta
Established on 18 Nov 1855 by Maj. Chin on the site of the destroyed Umatilla Indian Agency buildings. The fort was 100 feet square stockade, seven foot tall. Bastions were built of cottonwood timbers on two of the angles. The fort was abandoned in 1856.
A replica of the blockhouse is located in Fort Henrietta Park on the east side of the Umatilla River. The actual site is identified by markers on the west side of the river at the end of the road in front of the old Catholic Church.
Location: Umatilla County, Oregon, west bank of Umatilla River near the town of Echo, Umatilla County, Oregon. Fort Henrietta Park is located on the east side of the river but the actual site of Fort Henrietta is on the west bank.
Maps & Images
Lat: 45.741682 Long: -119.201231
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 665
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 134
- McArthur, Lewis A. & McArthur, Lewis L., Oregon Geographic Names, Oregon Historical Society Press; 7 edition (December 2003), 1073 pages, ISBN 0875952771, ISBN 978-0875952772, page 368
- Oregon Military History, Forts-Camps-Roads
- Converse, George L., A Military History of the Columbia Valley: 1848-1865, Pioneer Press Books, Walla Walla, Washington, 1989, ISBN 0-936546-16-6
Visited: 13 Oct 2010
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!