Fort Higley (1863-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Fort first established in 1863 in present day Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee. Named Fort Higley in G.O. 37, 11 Dec 1863, after Captain Joel P. Higley, 7th Ohio Cavalry, who was killed at Blue Springs 10 Oct 1863. The Fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Fort Higley
Fort Higley was one of 20 named Union fortifications surrounding Knoxville, Tennessee (8 Forts and 12 Batteries) during the U.S. Civil War. This ring of defenses was established late in 1863 to counter a Confederate threat to the city. Confederate forces attempted to capture the city in November-December 1863 and laid siege to the city. Large losses were sustained by Confederate forces attempting to take Fort Sanders and the Confederates withdrew, lifting the siege.
Fort Higley was a small fort, hastily established in 1863 to counter the Confederate threat to the city. The fort comprised all the works on the hill west of the railroad embankment on the south side of the river. These works included a two gun artillery position and attached rifle trenches.
The fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
Some earthworks remains and no markers.
Visited: 21 May 2016