Fort Holmes (4)
Fort Holmes (4) (1834-1835) - A U.S. Army post first established as Camp Canadian in 1834 near present day Holdenville, Hughes County, Oklahoma. Built at the confluence of the Little River and the Canadian River near the crossing of the Osage Trail. Renamed Camp Holmes and later Fort Holmes after 2nd Lt. Theophilus H. Holmes (Cullum 584), 7th U.S. Infantry, who established the post. Abandoned in 1835. Also sometimes known as Fort Edwards because of the proximity to the site of the Edwards Trading Post.
History of Fort Holmes
Established on 21 Jun 1834, by 2nd Lt. Theophilus H. Holmes, 7th U.S. Infantry, under the orders of Colonel Henry Leavenworth, 3rd U.S. Infantry at the confluence of the Little River and the Canadian River.
Fort Holmes was built at the southern end of a military road constructed between Fort Gibson and the Canadian River where the old Osage Trail crossed that river. Also built at his crossing was the Edwards Trading Post which was in operation for several years after Fort Holmes closed. This trading post apparently gave rise to the name Fort Edwards for this location but sources differ about the name, the connection and the location. Hart indicates that Fort Edwards was on the north bank of the Little River and Camp Holmes was on the south bank.
A blockhouse and barracks were built at the Fort Holmes site but the site was considered unhealthy and it was abandoned in 1835.