Fort Holmes (5)
Fort Holmes was a small Confederate fortification situated on Bald Head Island, North Carolina in the vicinity of the old Bald Head Island Light House and the areas to the immediate southwest of the light. The Fort consisted of Battery Homes and four other smaller earthen batteries arranged around the mouth of the Cape Fear River.
The fort was taken by sailors from the USS Pequot and the USS Wilderness on January 20th, 1865.
Much of the fort has been washed into the sea, some earthworks remain from Battery Holmes.