Fort Hoskins (2)
Fort Hoskins (2) (1838-1838) - A Trail of Tears Cherokee removal fort first established in 1838 near Spring Place, Murray County, Georgia. Named Fort Hoskins probably after 2nd Lieutenant Charles Hoskins (Cullum 881), 4th U.S. Infantry. Abandoned later in 1838 after the removal.
History of Fort Hoskins
Established about 30 Mar 1838 by a single mounted company commanded by Captain Thomas S. Jones. By May 30th some 79 Cherokees had been captured and were kept at the Fort. On June 9th 1838 it was reported that 122 captives had been sent directly to Ross's Landing at the start of the removal.
The remnants of the Cherokee Nation were rounded up in 1838 by Federal forces and Georgia Militia and pressed into military stockades for eventual removal to reservations in the western Indian Territory. U.S. General Winfield Scott oversaw the operation but lacked control over the militia units. Some 7,000 U.S. Soldiers and Georgia Militia forced some 15,000 Cherokee Indians into stockades and held them for removal. The condition were terrible in the stockades and on the trail to the Indian Territory and many of the Cherokees died before reaching the new reservations. As many as 4,000 Cherokees may have died in the stockades and on the 800 mile journey west. The removal process and the conditions of removal came to be known as the "Trail of Tears".
Plans were made to dispose of the public property at Fort Hoskins on 17 Jun 1838 and the post was abandoned about 2 Jul 1838.
No remains in Spring Place, Murray County, Georgia.