Fort Huntington Smith
Fort Huntington Smith (1863-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Fort established in 1863 in Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee. Named Fort Huntington Smith in G.O. 37 (Army of the Ohio), 11 Dec 1863 after Lt. Colonel W. Huntington Smith, 20th Michigan Volunteer Infantry, who was killed in action on 16 Nov 1863 at Campbell's Station, Tennessee. Fort abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Fort Huntington Smith
Fort Huntington Smith was one of 20 named Union fortifications surrounding Knoxville, Tennessee (8 Forts and 12 Batteries) during the U.S. Civil War. This ring of defenses was established late in 1863 to counter a Confederate threat to the city. Confederate forces attempted to capture the city in November-December 1863 and laid siege to the city. Large losses were sustained by Confederate forces attempting to take Fort Sanders and the Confederates withdrew, lifting the siege.
Established in 1863 as a large Federal earthwork fort fronting 150 yards and commanding the valley to the north.
Abandoned in 1865.
No remains one marker.