Fort Independence (3)
Fort Independence (3) (1775-1815) - A Patriot Revolutionary War Fort established originally as Robin Hill Fort in 1775 in Providence, Providence County, Rhode Island. Later renamed Fort Independence. Abandoned in 1815 at the end of the War of 1812.
History of Fort Independence
A Patriot fort established in 1775 during the Revolutionary War as Robin Hill Fort on Robbin Hill at Field's Point in Providence, Rhode Island. Established as a part of the town defenses of Providence from British ships in the harbor.
Built as 110 feet long by 53 to 60 feet wide earthworks. The construction was superintended by Captain Barnard Eddy. Connected to Sassafras Hill Fort by earthworks. Later, during the War of 1812, it was strengthened by the addition of Fort William Henry (4) on the southeast end of Field's Point.
Rebuilt in 1814 during the War of 1812 and abandoned for good in 1815 at the end of that war.
There may be some remains in Columbia Park/Playground located at the intersection of Vermont Ave. and Michigan Ave. Reportedly a monument also exists nearby.