Fort Jackson (3)
Fort Jackson (3) (1808-1905) - An early coastal fort constructed between 1808 and 1812. Named after James Jackson, Revolutionary War veteran, Governor, Senator and Congressman from Georgia. Abandoned in 1905. Also known as Fort Oglethorpe (1).
Part of the Harbor Defense of Savannah. Originally constructed as a six-gun fort with three, two gun batteries facing the water. The back of the fort was open and unfortified. The fort was upgraded over the years to enclose the entire fort and provide barracks and other improvements common to Third System forts.
During the War of 1812 the fort was garrisoned by Federal troops and the local militia. In the 1850s and 1860s, the fort was enlarged and updated. The brick barracks, privies, the surrounding moat with a drawbridge, a new powder magazine, and the back wall were added during these updates.
Confederate forces occupied the fort in March 1861 at the beginning of the U.S. Civil War and held it until December 1864 when it was evacuated as General Sherman approached. The departing confederates set the fort afire, spiked the guns, and destroyed everything of military value. Union troops occupied the fort until the end of the war. The fort was placed in caretaker status after the war and was renamed Fort Oglethorpe in 1884 and carried that name until it was abandoned in 1905.
Owned by the State of Georgia since 1928 and is now operated by The Coastal Heritage Society. Period guns and carriages in place on the ramparts.
Visited: 19 Jan 2010