Fort Jackson (9)
Fort Jackson (9) (1832-1832) - A Black Hawk War Fort established in 1832 in Mineral Point, Iowa County, Wisconsin. Fort Jackson was named after then President Andrew Jackson. Abandoned as a fortification at the end of the war in 1832.
History of Fort Jackson
Established in 1832 at the outbreak of the Black Hawk War to protect settlers and the small garrison.
The town jail was dismantled to provide logs that were sharpened and place upright in a trench forming a sturdy stockade around the perimeter of the fort. Two story Blockhouses were constructed at the southeast and northwest corners. Several large cabins were built inside the stockade to house the garrison and their families. Mineral Point was almost leveled to the ground because all the wood had been used to construct Fort Jackson.
Fort Jackson's commanding officer was Captain John F. O'Neal. Never directly attacked, Fort Jackson became a supply point, distributing supplies during the Black Hawk War. Abandoned as a fortification at the end of the war in 1832 and dismantled shortly after.
Historical marker only, located at the junction of Commerce and Fountain streets in Mineral Point.