Fort Johns (1756-1782) - A colonial militia French & Indian War fortification established in 1756 near Walpack Center, Sussex County, New Jersey. Abandoned as a fortification in 1782 near the end of the Revolutionary War. Also known as Fort Shapanack and Headquarters Fort.
History of Fort Johns
A colonial militia French & Indian War fortification established in 1756 near Walpack Center. Located along the historic Old Mine Road that parallels the Delaware River.
Fort Johns was built within a 120' square palisade with a wooden blockhouse, a log cabin and a stone house inside. The blockhouse measured 50' by 20' and was situated on a stone foundation. The log cabin measured 15' by 20' while the stone house was 52' by 26'. The stone house housed the family of Captain John Rosencrans.
During the Revolutionary War the fort was used by Patriot forces. Abandoned as a fortification in 1782 toward the end of the War.
Exact site is not known for sure, thought to be located on a knoll above the Van Campen's Inn on the Old Mine Road at Shapanack Flats.