Fort Jurupa (1852-1854) - A U.S. Army post established in 1852 near Rubidoux, Riverside County, California. Abandoned in 1854. Also called Rancho del Jurupa Post, Camp Rancho del Jurupa and later as Fort Fremont.
History of Fort Jurupa
Established on 17 Sep 1852 by Company H of the 2nd U.S. Infantry under Captain Charles S. Lovell. The garrison moved into the grist mill (1846) owned by Louis Rubidoux on the Santa Ana River with a mission to supress local raiders and bandits.
The post was abandoned in 1854.
Marker at 5540 Molina Way, Rubidoux, Riverside County, California. Adobe brick from the Rubidoux Grist Mill and Camp Rancho del Jurupa are supposed to be imbedded in the structure of the marker. No other remains.