Fort Kearny (1)
Established 21 May 1846 by Maj. Clifton Wharton, 1st U.S. Dragoons as Camp Kearny. A single blockhouse was later constructed by the next post commander, Lt. William E. Prince. The blockhouse sat on a hill overlooking the river landing at the town of Nebraska City. The post was abandoned in June 1846 and reoccupied 15 Sep 1847. Finally abandoned in May 1848 because it was not central to most of the major travel routes. The garrison was moved to Fort Kearny (2) which lay on the south bank of the Platt River at a point where most of the major trails passed close by.
Nothing remains except a small plaque on the back of an Oregon Trail Marker. The marker is located on the southeast corner of 5th Street and Central Avenue in Nebraska City.
Visited: 17 Jun 2010