Fort Kitchen (1855-1856) - A settler fort established 6 Nov 1855 as a stockade for settlers in Coos County, Oregon, under the command of elected Captain William H. Packwood. It was named after Catching Creek but mispronounced Kitchen.
Location: Fort Kitchen was located about a mile south
of the present town of Myrtle Point, Coos County, Oregon
on the south fork of the Coquille River near the
mouth of Catching Creek.
Maps & Images
Lat: 43.04556 Long: -124.14389
- Oregon Military History, Forts-Camps-Roads
- McArthur, Lewis A. & McArthur, Lewis L., Oregon Geographic Names, Oregon Historical Society Press; 7 edition (December 2003), 1073 pages, ISBN 0875952771, ISBN 978-0875952772, page 369
- Victor, Frances Fuller, The Early Indian Wars of Oregon: compiled from the Oregon Archives and other Original Sources with Muster Rolls, Farnk C. Baker, State Printer, Salem, Oregon, 1894, page 373