Fort La Presentation
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort La Presentation (1749-1813) - A French combination mission and garrison established in 1749 by Abbe Francois Picquet, a Sulpician Jesuit, in present day Ogdensburg, St. Lawrence County, New York. Named for the Feast of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin in the Temple. Abandoned by Father Picquet in 1759. Rebuilt and occupied by the British 1760 to 1796 as Fort Oswegatchie and by Americans from 1796 to 1813 as Fort Presentation. Abandoned in 1813.
French & Indian War (1754-1763)
Established as a French mission and garrison in 1749 by Father Francois Picquet. The fortification was square with tower bastions at the four corners and surrounded by a moat. The garrison supported French & Indian War operations against Fort Duquesne and scalping parties raiding down the Mohawk Valley. Abandoned by Father Picquet in 1759 after Quebec fell to the English.
Revolutionary War (1775-1783)
Rebuilt and occupied by the British from 1760 to 1796, they renamed it Fort Oswegatchie. Fort Oswegatchie was one of the forts subject to the Jay Treaty and it was abandoned by the British in 1796 when the treaty took effect. The fort was occupied by Americans from 1796 to 1813 and renamed Fort Presentation again. Abandoned in 1813.
Monument and markers in Ogdensburg, St. Lawrence County, New York.
Location: Ogdensburg, St. Lawrence County, New York. Map point is the Monument & Marker Location.
Maps & Images Lat: 44.694553 Long: -75.501198
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 562-563
Visited: 29 Jul 2012
Fort La Presentation Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!