|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Lavaca (1862-1863) - A Confederate post established during the U.S. Civil War in 1862 at Port Lavaca, Calhoun County, Texas. The guns were removed to Fort Esperanza and the post was abandoned in 1863.
Fort Lavaca History
A Confederate post established in Port Lavaca with two gun platforms and nine gun artillery pieces. Major D.D. Shea and the 4th Battalion of the Texas Artillery garrisoned the post in 1862. The guns were removed to Fort Esperanza and the post was abandoned in 1863. Union forces occupied the town from December 1863 through the end of the war.
Markers only, Port Lavaca, Calhoun County, Texas
Location: Port Lavaca, Calhoun County, Texas. Map point is not accurate.
Maps & Images
Lat: 28.62047 Long: -96.62521
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 767
Visited: 8 Dec 2011
Fort Lavaca Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!