Fort Lipantitlan (1831-1835, 1842-1842) - A Mexican fort established in 1831 in Nueces County, Texas. Apparently named for a camp of Lipan Apaches nearby. Seized and probably destroyed by Texan forces on 4 Nov 1835. The post was successfully defended by Texas forces during the battle of Lipantitlan and finallly abandoned later in 1842.
The post was constructed as a wooden picket fortification in 1831 by Mexican forces to prevent trouble with Anglo immigrants. The small Mexican guard force surrendered the post to Texan forces without a shot being fired on 4 Nov 1835. The Texans may have destroyed the fort after it was taken.
Texans reoccupied the site at some point in 1842 and successfully defended it during the battle of Lipantitlan on 7 Jul 1842. Texan General James Davis led the 192 defenders.
Ruins only, part of Lipantitlan State Historic Site, Nueces County, Texas. Two roadside markers are located at the intersection of CR 58 and FM 70 and one marker is located at the entrance to the park.
Visited: 30 Nov 2011