Fort Lucas (1745-1748, 1754-1763) - First established in 1745 by Andrew Lucas in Colrain, Franklin County, Massachusetts. Named after Andrew Lucas. Abandoned about 1748.
Erected as a palisaded garrison house and garrisoned by Massachusetts Colonial Militia during King George's War (1744-1748). The Fort was built near the town meeting house on Chandler Hill. The Colonial Militia was withdrawn at the end of the war.
Fort Morrison was one of four similar fortifications built around Colrain during King George's War that included Fort Morrison, Fort Morris (2), Fort Lucas and Fort McDowell (3).
Regarrisoned by Massachusetts Colonial Militia during the French & Indian War from 1754 to about 1763.
Location: Colrain, Franklin County, Massachusetts.
Maps & Images
Lat: 42.67 Long: -72.6736111
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 405