Fort Marr (1814, 1835-1838) - A War of 1812 fort first established in 1814 at Oldfort, Polk County, Tennessee. Regarrisoned in 1835 and used during the Trail of Tears Cherokee removal in 1838. Abandoned in 1838. Also known as Marr's Fort, Camp Lindsay and Fort Morrow.
History of Fort Marr
Established in 1814 during the War of 1812 to protect Andrew Jackson's supplies. The fort was regarrisoned in 1837 by Captain John Morrow and three companies of Tennessee militia that were used during the Trail of Tears Cherokee removal in 1837 to collect Cherokees and transport them to Fort Cass. The fort was initially named Camp Lindsay but renamed Fort Morrow after the commander. Three blockhouses and a palisade were added.
The remaining blockhouse was built of hand squared oak logs with the lower section 14' by 14' while the overhanging upper section is 18' by 18'. Seventy two rifle loopholes allowed riflemen inside to fire on advancing attackers while loopholes in the floor of the upper section allowed riflemen to fire down on attackers who had reached the blockhouse.
Abandoned in 1838.
The remains of a single blockhouse are located in Hiwassee/Ocoee Rivers State Park at the Gee Creek Campground, Polk County, Tennessee. The blockhouse was donated to Polk County in 1922 and moved from the Oldfort location to several other locations over the years. The blockhouse retains many of the original timbers but does have new roofing and a concrete foundation. Additional upgrades are in the works.
Visited: 2 May 2016