Fort Martin Scott
Fort Martin Scott (1848-1853) (1866) - Established 5 Dec 1848 by Captain Seth Eastman (Cullum 562), 1st U.S. Infantry as Camp Houston and renamed in December 1849 for Major Martin Scott who was killed during the Mexican War at the battle of Molino del Rey, 8 Sep 1847.
The fort was one of 8 established after the Mexican War along the then western frontier. These forts were built under the command of Gen. George Mercer Brooke and served to establish Federal authority along the frontier. The forts were Fort Inge (1849-1869), Fort Lincoln (1) (1849-1852), Fort Martin Scott (1848-1866), Fort Croghan (1) (1849–1855), Fort Gates (1849-1852), Fort Graham (1849-1853), and Fort Worth (1849-1853).
The fort was originally constructed to protect the Northern end of the Fredricksburg - San Antonio Road against the hostile Commanche Indians. German settlers had concluded a treaty with the Comanches in 1847 and there were no attacks on the fort. The fort was occupied by Federal troops 1848-1853 and reoccupied by Federal troops after the U.S. Civil War in September 1866 but abandoned in December of that year.
The fort site is owned by the city of Fredericksburg and operated by the Gillespie County Historical Society. The society has developed the property as a park and historic site and continues with archeological projects and historic renovations. Site has a visitor's center, two reconstructed officer's quarters and the only remaining original building, the guardhouse.
Visited: 11 Oct 2007