Fort Mason (5) (1865-1866) - A U.S. Army post established as Post at Calabasas in 1865 just after the end of the U.S. Civil War by Colonel Charles W. Lewis, 7th California Volunteer Infantry, near Calabasas in Santa Cruz County, Arizona. Renamed Fort Mason on 6 Sep 1866. Renamed Camp McKee later in 1866 and abandoned in the fall of 1866.
Fort Mason (5) History
A U.S. Army post established as Post at Calabasas 21 Aug 1865 replacing the Army's post at Tubac. The post was situated on the road south into Sonora, Mexico. First garrisoned by 7th California Volunteer Infantry who were later replaced by regular troops.
Abandoned 1 Oct 1866 after two epidemics hit the post, affecting over one-third of the troops. The garrison was relocated to Camp Cameron in the foothills of the San Rita mountains.
No remains, Santa Cruz County, Arizona
Location: Near the abandoned site of Calabasas in Santa Cruz County, Arizona.
Maps & Images
Lat: 31.4570390 Long: -110.9695323
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 43
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 14
- USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 42696