Fort Matson (1832-1833) - A Black Hawk War Fort established in 1832 near present-day Sublette, Adair County, Missouri. Named Fort Matson after Captain Richard Matson the fort commander. Abandoned in 1833. Also known as Fort Madison
The fort had a stockade, a shed for horses, a log building for storage, and a blockhouse surrounded by a palisade for protection.
The Black Hawk War only lasted some 5 months ending in September 1832, the garrison remained over the winter and the abandoned the fort.
A large boulder with an attached plaque from the DAR marks the site of the fort. This marker is located on the left side of the access road to the Fort Madison Cemetery off of Fort Madison Way.
Visited: 20 Aug 2020