Fort Maurepas (1)
Established in 1699 on the east side of Biloxi Bay in what is know known as Ocean Springs by Pierre Le Moyne, sieur d'Iberville. Built as four sided fort with pointed bastions at each corner mounting 12 guns. A moat/ditch and external redans provided additional protection.
A second fort, Fort La Boulaye, was established along the Mississippi when it was learned that the English planned to try to gain control of the mouth of the Mississippi. A third fort, Fort Saint Louis de la Mobile, at the Mobile River was built to replace Fort Maurepas and Fort Maurepas was abandoned in 1702.
Fort Maurepas State Park, Ocean Springs, Mississippi. No period guns or mounts in place. The park was rebuilt after Hurricane Katrina and rededicated in October 2009 but it does not contain a replica of the fort or any interpretive displays. It does contain a statue of d'Iberville. The actual fort site is believed to be north of I90.
Visited: 7 Dec 2009