Fort McAllister (2)
Fort McAllister (2) (1855-1856) - A fort/blockhouse first established by Washington Territorial Volunteers in 1855 during the Washington Indian Wars in the present day town of South Prairie, Pierce County, Washington. Named after Lieutenant James McAllister, of Eaton Rangers, who was killed at the beginning of the Washington Indian Wars. Abandoned as a fortification at the end of hostilities in 1856.
History of Fort McAllister
Fort McAllister was a Washington Territorial Volunteer constructed fort/blockhouse at the site of present day town of South Prairie, Washington. An excerpt from the National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form for the William Bisson House indicates that "After hostilities erupted on Connell's Prairie in 1855, a blockhouse, named Fort McAllister, was constructed. The site of this fort is within the present town limits of South Prairie. In 1856, the same year that the Indian hostilities ceased, a military road, located roughly in the vicinity of Werron Road East, was constructed to facilitate communications between South Prairie and Connell's Prairie."
The fort/blockhouse was abandoned as a fortification at the end of hostilities in 1856.
Unknown site within the town limits of South Prairie, Pierce County, Washington.